1. Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them (Ephesians 4:29).
2. Obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes—these are not for you. Instead, let there be thankfulness to God. (Ephesians 5:4).
3. It’s not what goes into your mouth that defiles you; you are defiled by the words that come out of your mouth. (Matthew 15:11).
4. Does anyone want to live a life that is long and prosperous? Then keep your tongue from speaking evil and your lips from telling lies! (Psalms 34:12-13).
5. The words of the godly are a life-giving fountain; the words of the wicked conceal violent intentions. (Proverbs 10:11).
6. But now is the time to get rid of anger, rage, malicious behavior, slander, and dirty language. (Colossians 3:11).
7. They must not slander anyone and must avoid quarreling. Instead, they should be gentle and show true humility to everyone. (Titus 3:12).
8. But no one can tame the tongue. It is restless and evil, full of deadly poison. (James 3:8).
9. And do not say, ‘By the earth!’ because the earth is his footstool. And do not say, ‘By Jerusalem!’ for Jerusalem is the city of the great King. Do not even say, ‘By my head!’ for you can’t turn one hair white or black. Just say a simple, ‘Yes, I will,’ or ‘No, I won’t.’ Anything beyond this is from the evil one. (Matthew 5:35-37).
10. Avoid worthless, foolish talk that only leads to more godless behavior (2 Timothy 2:16).